I have to be honest with you guys – unless it’s burnt to a crispy black, or perhaps delicately broiled to a bubbling deep brown, I normally hate marshmallows. So I was a little skeptical with making this recipe, and pretty horrified at myself for buying whipped marshmallow. But of all the batches of ice cream I’ve made, this one is my absolute favourite. Maybe it’s just because the combination of melted chocolate, graham crackers, and marshmallow can never go wrong. And obviously with it being in ice cream form that just makes it all the better. All I know is that this delicious treat is as close to camping s’mores as I’m going to get this year.
I used the cuisinart recipe that came with my ice cream maker, but I made some tweaks to make it even more marshmallow-y/s’mores-y/better-y. P.S., I don’t know if I’ve said this yet, but if you don’t have an ice cream maker then GO OUT AND BUY ONE. Seriously, they’re SO worth it. I only really make true ice cream for the ice cream party, as I don’t have milk or cream hanging around the house. But it’s so great for dumping a berry and green’s smoothie’s in to make a super healthy frozen yogurt treat. How else can you eat spinach as a dessert?
But now that I’ve talked about how you can use an ice cream maker for a healthy dessert, let’s get to the fun, very unhealthy, oh so delicious s’mores ice cream recipe shall we? Let’s sugar up gals!
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ⅔ cup whole milk
- 1½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1½ cup marshmallow cream/whipped marshmallow
- 4 full graham cracker sheets, crushed
- ½ cup milk chocolate chips
- pinch of salt
- In a medium bowl, sift the cocoa powder, then whisk in the sugars and salt until thoroughly combined.
- Using a hand blender, whisk in the milk on a low speed (can also do by hand). Beat until the cocoa and sugars are dissolved. Stir in the heavy cream and vanilla. Cover and refrigerate 1-2 hours.
- Add the cream mixture to your ice cream maker and churn according to manufacturers instructions for 15-20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, melt your chocolate chips using the double broiling method to prevent the chocolate from burning. Make sure to frequently mix chocolate. Set aside to cool.
- Five minutes before the ice cream is complete, gradually add in ¾ cup of marshmallow cream, one spoonful at a time. Once mixed, add 2 sheets of crushed graham crackers, then the melted chocolate.
- Remove ice cream from the mixer and add in the remaining marshmallow and graham crackers, stirring by hand.
- The ice cream will be soft and creamy, you can eat now, or put it in the freezer for 15+ minutes to allow it to firm up.
From The Ice Cream Archives