August is always an exciting and tense month at my parents’ home. The anticipation of luscious, plump figs is palpable, but we live in fear of the birds. Oh the swarms of birds that plunge down to their gluttonous feast, ravaging the trees until nothing is left for us measly humans. So far we’ve had one swarm of birds attack one of five trees. My dad is on high alert, watching the birds flying miles away, daring them to come any closer so he can run out and chase them away. Yes folks, it’s that dramatic.
I picked a few figs the birds hadn’t found yet (and am keeping my fingers crossed they won’t find the ones that are just about to ripen!). Local blogger Erin Crowley had luck with her fig trees and made the most delicious sounding treat ever – coconut milk fig popsicles.
With my little bundle of figs I had to try my own version. And guess what? This dairy and sugar free treat is super easy and DELISH.
- 1 can coconut milk
- 6 large figs
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- In a bowl, whisk together the coconut milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract.
- Peel the figs. Use your fingers to crumble the figs into the coconut mixture. You’ll want to break the figs up into nickel sized pieces or smaller. Whisk all ingredients together.
- Pour the mixture into your popsicle mold. If you don’t have one you can use paper cups, or even ice cube trays, with popsicle sticks.
- Freeze overnight. Enjoy!
I’m warning you, once you start eating these it’s hard to stop, especially knowing that there isn’t any horrible-for-you ingredients.
Are you a fig fan? What’s your favourite fig recipe?