Put peanut butter and chocolate together and I’m a happy girl. If there’s ever a dessert table and this combination is an option, there’s no way I’m going for anything else. I would eat Peanut Butter Puffs Cereal for breakfast if it were an appropriate choice.
Last Christmas friends came over for a get together, and one brought these irresistible treats. There were tons left over and I tried to avoid them, but they didn’t last long, and soon enough we were making our own. Turns out the mister used to have the same squares when he was a kid, and his mom still had the recipe from an old mini companies coming book. Well, I made them as soon as I was given the recipe and I gotta tell you, it was just as hard not scarfing them all down.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup natural smooth peanut butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup natural smooth peanut butter
- Grease a 9×9 dish and preheat the oven at 350F
- Cream butter, first amount of peanut butter and sugar until well combined.
- In a separate bowl whisk an egg, then mix in with the peanut butter mixture, along with the vanilla.
- Stir in flour until mixture becomes thick.
- Place mixture into the dish and pat into place, using your hands to press the batter into the sides and even out the top.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- While baking, melt together the chocolate chips and the second amount of peanut butter in a small sauce pan. Set aside. When the cake is removed from the oven and cool, pour the chocolate mixture on top.
- Allow to set for 12 hours (4 in the fridge) before slicing into squares.