We were lucky enough to spend a delightful Christmas in the hot Cuban sun. And what did we spend a good chunk of our time doing aside from listening to amazing Afro-Cuban music and laying on the beach? Drinking Cuban cocktails of course.
This one was a favourite. It’s simple, sweet, refreshing, and not common outside of Cuba. Heck, it’s not common outside of Havana! When Ryan ordered a Havana Especial at our resort in Varadero, he got a snifter of aged rum instead. He didn’t mind of course, but the cocktail, what I like to call Pineapple Haze, is a tad more refreshing than straight up aged rum.
- 3 oz pineapple juice
- 1.5 oz rum
- ⅓ oz maraschino liqueur (you can adjust the amount to suit your taste)
- Pineapple slices (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker.
- Shake shake shake!
- Pour into a rocks glass. Top with ice and pineapple slices if desired.
- Serve immediately while the pineapple juice is at its most frothy
Isn’t this a much better Cuban alternative than a cigar?
Now blast Guantanamera on your speakers (multiple versions of that song is everywhere) and enjoy your cocktail amigos.