I try to have a fairly varied diet, but there are some things that are almost never out of stock in our pantry. Due to their health properties, versatility or just pure delicious, these ingredients are my absolute staples.
- Cramming 10g of complete protein for every 3 tablespoons, hemp seeds are the perfect way to get protein in my morning swiss muesli. They can also be sprinkled over salads or yogurt for an added boost of essential fatty acids, fiber, and all sorts of other great stuff. Image source unknown. Please e-mail if you know.
- We either have peanut butter or almond butter at all times, but the latter is my favourite, especially accompanied with apple slices for a mid morning snack. Image Source
- I’ve almost always preferred plain yogurt to flavoured and just add a dollop of no sugar jam or honey if I’m wanting a little something more. I probably have plain yogurt every day in a variety of ways, but my favourite use for it lately is mixed with blended avocado, lemon juice, and salt and black pepper drizzled over salad or veggies. But my absolute fave? Honey greek yogurt. It’s dessert. Image Source
- If you know me you know I love coconut butter/oil on and in everything. As a cooking oil, on toast, and even in my coffee. Don’t let the calorie count or saturated fats scare you. Being plant based it’s far healthier. Like anything else, just consume in moderation. Image Source
- Chia seeds are another staple in my morning swiss muesli. Yes, chia seeds. The same stuff you sprinkled on a ceramic hedgehog when you were a kid and watched it sprout green ‘fur’. Like hemp seeds, chia seeds are full of fiber, protein and essential fatty acids. Image Source
- Spending 5 years of my life working in a chocolate shop, how can I not be a fan? Thankfully dark chocolate (no milk, lower in sugar and fat, and higher in antioxidants, magnesium and other awesome stuff) is my top fave. Although I must admit I am a sucker for anything milk chocolate and peanut butter based… Image Source